With over 38 years in the field of public education, Mike Murphy has held a variety of progressively responsible positions demonstrating his competence and skill in collaboration, communication, and compassion.
Mike offers a wealth of knowledge and skill in a variety of areas related to PK-12 education, is an excellent public speaker, and cares about the development of organizations to better meet the needs of constituents they serve. With experience as a public school teacher, teacher educator, director of career and technical education, executive director of educational programs, chief operations officer, and superintendent of schools, Mike understands complex organizations and the challenges they face.
His skill set is wide-ranging, from policy review and implementation, to strategic planning, to new program development, to the creation of educational specifications and facility design. If you have questions, or would like to know how Mike might help your organization grow to its fullest potential, please do not hesitate to contact him.
Recent Service to Public Education
- Norton City School Board Leadership & Board Development Workshop (October, 2015)
- Covington City School Board Leadership & Board Development Workshop (September, 2015)
- Virginia School Board Association Trainer (September, 2015 to Present)
- Westmoreland County Public Schools Facility Consultant (December, 2014 to Present)
- Virginia Association of School Business Officials Keynote Presentation (October, 2014)
- Financial Leadership in the 21st Century – A New Era of Uncertainty
- Executive Leadership Program ~ Seattle Pacific University ~ Seattle, Washington (2005)
- Ed.D. ~ University of Georgia ~ Vocational Education, Athens, Georgia (1987)
- M.Ed. ~ University of Georgia ~ Industrial Arts Education, Athens, Georgia (1982)
- B.S. ~ Florida State University ~ Industrial Arts Education, Tallahassee, Florida (1977)
- Superintendent of Schools, Clarke County, Virginia (2008-2014)
- Assistant Superintendent and Chief Operations Officer, Monroe, Washington (1993-2008)
- Curriculum Coordinator for Secondary/At-Risk Youth, Corvallis, Oregon (1991-1993)
- Assistant Professor, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon (1988-1991)
- Trade and Industrial Education, Clarke Central High School, Athens, Georgia (1984-1988)
- Technology Education, Clarke Middle School, Athens, Georgia (1980-1984)
- Industrial Arts Education, Tift County Junior High School, Tifton, Georgia (1977-1980)